GoPro Hero 9: Is It Worth The Upgrade?
The Rise of the GoPro Camera
The release of the first GoPro camera back in 2004 started a revolution in the way we record footage and take photographs.
Global travel is of course more accessible and common than ever, as the internet and commercial flights have seen the world population become more interconnected than ever before.
This kind of exploration provides endless opportunities for fantastic recordings of beautiful memories and landscapes. The GoPro made that easier than ever.
Whether at the top of a mountain, by the ocean, hiking through a forest, skiing, or anything else, possession of a GoPro captures the moment with stunning accuracy.
So, the question becomes, is the latest GoPro, Hero 9, worth the money to upgrade from the previous models? Well, since its release on September 16th, 2020, it’s sold by the millions, so it’s certainly been popular.
We’ll take a look at some of the best features of this new all-action camera.
The Basic Features and Functions
- Wide angle lens
- A Continuous shooting speed of 1fps
- 0.48 Kilograms weight
- Effective Still Resolution of 20 MP
- Optical sensor resolution of 23 MP
- 3 optical zoom options
- Hardware Interface
Each of these components combines to create a superb product. The low weight certainly stands out. So, not only is it tiny, but it’s light enough to carry around in your pocket wherever you go.
One thing that people who’ve never owned one tend to worry about with a camera as small as a GoPro is the potential loss in picture quality compared to a larger model, but clearly, that’s not an issue here. The resolution is quite sensational.
Additionally, it takes photographs rapidly, giving you the chance to capture as many of those special moments as possible.
A Little More Detail
Users shouldn’t be fooled by how easy it is to use a GoPro Hero 9, as they’re extremely technical pieces of equipment, with an amazing amount of technology built into such a small unit.
Here are some of the best examples of what it’s capable of:
- Up to 5k resolution video - If nothing else, this is sure to wow most people. It offers a higher resolution than plenty of TVs available around the world. Even when fully zoomed in, the most minute of details will enjoy a stunning clarity that’s hard to compete with.
- Beautiful clarity with 20mp still resolution - Using the inbuilt SuperPhoto feature, the Hero 9 will automatically select the superior image processing technique, which enables even the most inexperienced photographer or videographer to get the ultimate shot.
- Stability - The Max Lens Mod allows for complete stability. You can use it while surfing, climbing, or riding a horse and the footage will remain completely balanced. This is perhaps the most impressive feature of every GoPro camera to date, but it’s truly been perfected with the GoPro Hero 9.
- Included folding fingers - No longer is there any need to carry any extra pieces of equipment to rest the camera on a surface. There are three fingers that can be easily flicked out, and you’re good to go. It’s a permanent, retractable tripod.
- Larger touch screen - Every feature of the GoPro Hero 9 has been improved since the previous models, but it’s fantastically noticeable when it comes to the screen. It’s intuitive, easy to control, and aesthetically quite striking. That’s a big plus for users who want a straightforward, enjoyable experience. Nobody wants to spend five minutes fiddling with buttons just to get the perfect shot.
- Waterproof - Like its predecessors, it’s waterproof. No need for improvement there. Still awesome.
- Extended battery life - With more than 30% extended battery life than the GoPro Hero 8, you’ll be able to capture those special moments for longer than before. The battery is of course still rechargeable.
Conclusion - Is it really worth shelling out for?
Probably, yes. It’s hard to argue that the GoPro Hero 9 isn’t a huge upgrade on the previous model, and it certainly fares very well when compared with similar competing products.
If you just use the GoPro on a fairly casual basis, then perhaps something released a little earlier will do the trick.
But, if you have designs on a great adventure, or you spend a lot of time outdoors experiencing new things, then the upgraded features will surely make a huge difference.
The extended battery life, the inbuilt mini tripod, the stunning touch screen user interface, the outstanding camera, and audio quality: each of these features has been noticeably improved from previous models, making it a must have for the next extraordinary experience you intend to capture.
Overall, it’s an exceptional product, and we absolutely love it.